Another sample for the yarn store, and this one’s a winner — the Bandana Cowl. It calls for a bulky weight yarn, but for this project I used two strands of worsted weight yarn held together. The look, along with the colors, are fitting for the bandana style.
I used Stonehedge Fiber Mill Shepherd’s Wool, which has worked well for me with other projects, in the colors “Red” and “Beaches,” the latter being a bit more taupy than sand-colored, as the name would imply. One skein of each was more than enough, in fact, it likely would come close to being enough for two cowls.
The gauge is 4 stitches and 6 rows to an inch, a somewhat standard bulky weight gauge, and, as I mentioned, easy to achieve with two strands of a worsted weight yarn.
The pattern is from Purl Soho and is available as a free download on Ravelry. I can’t provide the link for the download here since it isn’t my pattern, but you can find the link to the Ravelry page for the Bandana Cowl here. It’s well-written and easy to follow. The “pointed” section is made with short rows, and the rest is worked in the round with some simple decreases.
It’s a quick and easy pattern with satisfying results. The yarn you choose is going to determine the look more than the pattern since it’s such a simple style, but the shaping adds a special touch, suitably named after bandanas.
One thing to make note of: this is worn close to the face, great for cold weather, but beware of anything scratchy. Everyone has a different tolerance level for the various wools available, so if you’re making it as a gift, I’d suggest erring on the side of super comfy.
The project worked so well and I’m looking for gift ideas for Christmas, so I knit up another cowl today (it took most of the afternoon and evening) using Brown Sheep Lamb’s Pride Worsted and Noro Kureyon. It knit up a little tighter than the first cowl (I used the same size needles), but the gauge is the same. It’s just a bit stiffer, but still attractive and probably warmer. I’m a little concerned it may be scratchy, but when I tried it on that didn’t seem to be a problem.